This weeks Sunday supper is about kids in the kitchen. That’s a good thing. As parents we should encourage our kids to help out, both in the creative process and in the execution of meals. Both recipes in this post were designed to make my Sonic the Hedgehog loving 5 year-old feel better about trying new foods. In one case, the entire dish was his creation. In both cases, he flatly refused to eat either of them once they were made.
Everyone else in the house happily enjoyed both however.
Now, I’m not going to say that the master creation of our 5 year-old is in any way healthy. We suggested “Hedgehog Meatballs” to him and he replied that what he really really wanted was a chili dog pie.
Yep… Chili Dog Pie…
Which left it up to the grown-up types to figure out how to make this delicacy happen. Luckily, we’re creative thinkers here at the cbsop test kitchens, and with a little thought and the help of our young apprentice, we got the thing done.
So… It’s not gourmet by any means… Or is it?
No it’s not. But it is remarkably good, considering that it is little more than smashed tater tots, hot dogs, canned chili and cheese. It’s about every food group that we’re taught to avoid as adults, all in one massive, calorie and fat laten treat.
The kids loved it. At least the kids that didn’t invent it. My wife and I liked it a little too much as well. It may not be good for you, but it is good, in a guilty pleasure kind of way. Kind of like a pizza… On crack. Yeah, it’s that good.
All of your favorite chili dog fixin's in one single dish. Created by our 5 year-old son in honor of his favorite T.V. Character and video game, Sonic the Hedgehog!
For our second attempt at new foods, we tried the associative route. we decided we’d make “Hedgehog Meatballs” in honor of Sonic himself, hoping that the little guy would try them. They’re just a slight variation on the classic porcupine meatball from the 50’s, but we thought they might get him to try something new, especially if they looked like a real hedgehog…
Nope. Not a bite.
In any case, the other kids devoured them, which makes e feel a little better about myself since they’re a lot healthier than the first dish was. They were also a runaway hit, as the following picture describes better than I can in words.
Adapted from a recipe at Southern Foods at About.com. Renamed hedgehog Meatballs so that our Sonic the hedgehog loving 5 year-old would try them.
What I would have done differently had I thought of it at the time:I wish that the youngest would have actually tried these meals. But he’s not only a five year-old, he’s also autistic. Some days are better than others. This wasn’t one of the better days. hopefully we’ll have better luck on another day.
And now dear friends, it’s nearly 3 AM as I write this, so please pardon any typos you might have seen in the preceding work. I believe in the Sunday Supper Movement enough to stay up until the wee hours to make sure to spread the message that sitting around a table with your family at least once per week is a very important thing. So do the wonderful folks that follow. Please take a moment to visit them and let them know that what they’re doing is important, too.
Other Sunday Suppers You Don’t Want To Miss
Start your day:
- Panko Encrusted French Toast Sticks ~Doggie At the Dinner Table
- Pineapple Not-Upside Down Muffins ~In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Bacon, Egg & Sausage Breakfast Cups ~Daily Dish Recipes
- Buttermilk French Toast with Homemade Cinnamon – Raisin Bread ~What Smells So Good
- Snack Attack: 3 Healthy Choices for Little Nibblers ~Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Fruit Salad in an Orange Cup ~Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Whole-wheat Pretzel Dogs ~Family Spice
- Poblano Mac ‘N Cheese ~Juanita’s Cocina
- Coconut Chicken and Shrimp ~Super for a Steal
- Lunie and Mini-me’s Grilled Pizza ~Cravings of a Lunatic
- Hedgehog Meatballs and Chili Dog Pie ~Cooking by the Seat of our Pants
- Walking Tostada ~Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Sausage Rolls ~Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Mini Corn Dog Muffins ~In The Kitchen With KP
- Mexican Black Bean & Quinoa Burgers with Homemade Guacamole ~Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Threaded Spaghetti Hot Dog Bites ~Damn Delicious
- Golden Potato Patties ~My Trials in the Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Wings in Sesame Flavors ~The Queen’s Notebook
- Spaghetti Tacos ~Girlichef
- Parmesan Corn on the Cob ~Home Cooking Memories
- Yum Yum Salmon ~Family Foodie
- Pad Thai ~Meal Planning Magic
- Chicken Tortilla Bake ~Mrs. Mama Hen
- Chocolate Slab ~Happy Baking Days
- Chocolate Chip Cut-Out Cookies ~Chocolate Moosey
- Self-Crust Coconut Pie ~Magnolia Days
- Fresh Cherry Clafoutis ~The Meltaways
- Wolf’s Wonderful Peanut Butter-Brownie Fudge Sundaes ~The Weekend Gourmet
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream ~The Messy Baker Blog
- Healthy Creamy Caramel Apple Parfaits with Greek Yogurt ~Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate and Salted Caramel Pudding Pops ~Hezzi-D’s Cooks and Books
- Chocolate Cheese Turnover ~Basic and Delicious
- Chocotorta Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Oatmeal and M&M Cookies ~That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Purple Blueberry Cake ~Tora’s Real Food
- Tropical Popsicles ~Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Carrot Cupcakes ~Diabetic Foodie