Are you looking for a dish that is quick, light and packed with flavor? How about one that can be cooked on the grill so you don’t have to heat up the house? What if I told you that it can be served as an appetizer or as the main course… Would you be interested?
This is one of those cases where less really is more. Each component stands on its own but also blends into a harmonious whole that somehow becomes something new. Something special. Yes, it’s just beef, salsa and garlic rubbed toast, but it’s better than that. It’s more complete.
In a pinch this can be put together in minutes from the grill or grill pan. You don’t really need slow roasted chuck. A flank steak or skirt steak cooked to just barely medium will serve perfectly well here. Bread toasted on the grill will work perfectly fine as well. If served on single pieces of crostini, it’s perfect finger food. Just grab one and go, no plate or utensils required.
If you want to go Gluten free here, either use gluten free bread or just toast up some quartered corn tortillas.
What are your go to summer dishes? What do you crave when the temperature rises? Are you the summer salad type or do you crave spicy foods to help beat the heat? let us know!
And before we share this recipe with you, we’ll give you a final look. We know you wanted one.
Recipe: Crostini with Roast Beef and Salsa Fresca
- Salsa Fresca (Pico de Gallo)
- 1 to 2 pounds roast beef (recipe below)
- 1 loaf sweet French bread
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut French bread into 1/2-inch slices. Arrange slices on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees until lightly browned and crisp. (About 6 minutes.)
- Rub toast slices with garlic. Arrange 3 crostini on a plate, top with freshly sliced warm roast beef or steak. Place a good 2 Tablespoons of fresh Salsa Fresca over the top of the beef. Serve immediately.
You can use leftover cooked beef for this recipe. Just reheat before serving or serve at room temperature if desired. (I don’t recommend that this dish be serve chilled.)
Recipe: Roast Beef
Summary: Quick and flavorful roast beef
- 1 – 2.5 to 3.5 pound beef chuck roast
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil, for searing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Season the roast liberally with the spice mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a large oven safe skillet over medium high heat. Sear roast well on both sides (approximately 3 minutes per side.) Bake in preheated 350 degree oven until desired doneness. (130 degrees for rare, 135 for medium-rare, 145 for medium, 150 for medium-well and 160 for well done.)
- Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain to serve.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet tags: High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
What I would have done differently had I thought of it at the time:
Nothing. This dish disappeared in record time. It’s a keeper.
Links to other recipes like this:
- Grilled Tri-Tip Steak with Chimol Salsa, from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Coffee Marinated Flank steak with Pico de Gallo, from Food52
- Leftover Steak Tacos, from Dianasaur Dishes