Simple, quick and tasty. That’s what comes to mind when I think of this salad. The sweetness of honey, the tang of mustard and a good hearty blast of sweet red grapefruit make this a sure-fire winner on even the hottest day. It puts a smile on my face every time I make it.
It only takes a few minutes to put this together, which makes it a great choice for a quick lunch. Alternately, just pack up the ingredients separately and assemble it right at your desk in a few seconds for a light alternative to a standard office lunch.
This recipe was created for FoodBuzz Family Bites. The ingredients used were provided by Newman’s Own, which is why there is a brand specified, but any Honey Mustard dressing that you love, whether home made or store bought will work wonders here.
On a final and unrelated note, my recipe for Chili Stuffed Cornbread is a finalist in the RO*TEL Across America recipe competition. I’d love it if you could pop over and vote for it. I’d love for it to end up in the top three places. (Winning would be nice, too!) You can vote once per day up until June 30th, Show some love!
- ¾ pound chicken breast tenderloins
- 1-package Italian blend salad greens
- ¼ cup salt-roasted cashews
- 1 sweet grapefruit cut in segments
- 6-8 Tbsp Newman’s Own Light honey Mustard Salad Dressing
- 1-Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Cook in a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat until juices run clear when pierced. Set aside.
Place greens in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle Newman’s Own Light Honey Mustard salad Dressing over greens and toss lightly to coat. Add grapefruit segments and toss to combine.
Place equal amounts of salad greens onto four plates. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and lay equal amounts on top of the greens on each plate. Sprinkle cashews over salad.
Drizzle with a tiny bit more salad dressing if desired.
What I would have done differently had I thought of it at the time:
Nothing really, but my wife would probably recommend goat cheese.
Links to other recipes like this:
- Grilled Halloumi Salad Recipe with Chicken, Mini-Peppers and Lemon, from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Spicy Orange Chicken Salad, from For The Love of Cooking
- La Salade d’Elle (Chicken Salad with Almonds, Queso Fresco and Raspberry-Lime Vinaigrette), From CbsoP