For those of you with an interest in what will be on other people’s tables this Thanksgiving, I thought I’d lay out our plans for the holiday. For us, Holiday dinners are a week-long affair, and like any other holiday, I’ve already begun on this one. I’d rather spend the actual day chatting with my friends and family than being “the cook”, because the whole point of a holiday like this one is enjoying each others company, don’t you think?
Well, that and the leftovers… I love that part.
Our 2008 Thanksgiving Menu
- Deviled Eggs, 2 types. One spicy and one not
- Crab dip and a platter of “stuff” to dip into it with
- An Antipasto platter
- Roast Turkey (2 of ‘em)
- Cranberry Sauce
- Turkey giblet gravy
- Brown gravy
- Southern cornbread dressing
- Ham braised in wine, onions, apples and cloves
- Garlic and herb smashed potatoes
- Cloverleaf dinner rolls
- Twice baked sweet potato casserole with crispy bacon
- Green bean casserole (for the rest of us)
- Butter and herb sweet corn
- Collard greens with bacon and garlic
- Pumpkin Pie
- Bourbon pecan pie
- about 6 kinds of cookies
And to top all of that off, our guests are bringing a rosast and an apple pie. Think that’s enough food?
We had worked out a schedule for the week prior, but I’ve already pretty much blown that. Tomorrow will be hectic! At this point I’ve made turkey stock, got the cornbread for the dressing done and have my shopping list ready to go. Changes may still happen. I’ll keep you posted on what we get done throughout the week, because come Turkey day the only things I want in the oven are things that have to be cooked right then and there!
Happy Holidays everyone.